Thursday, January 5, 2017

Shasta Lantern: Some soldiers still on hook for bonuses

The Shasta Lantern's Red Smith passes along a Tuesday report by Stars and Stripes that "a few hundred" California National Guardsmen are still on the hook to repay bonuses they were given as incentives for signing up at the height of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Stars and Stripes' Corey Dickstein writes:
Peter Levine, the acting undersecretary of defense for personnel and readiness, said the vast majority of some 17,500 California soldiers who were facing recoupment of enlistment and student loan bonuses paid out before 2011 will be allowed to keep the money or be reimbursed if it was already collected from them. [...]

The remaining cases will be reviewed by the Army Board for the Correction of Military Records to determine whether bonus money should be recouped. Levine said he expected “less than 1,000” such cases.

That process has already started, Levine said. He expected to clear those cases before the July 1 deadline established by Carter.

The soldiers whose cases are selected for review by the Army Board for the Correction of Military Records will have the opportunity to present any evidence that their money should not be recouped, Levine said.
The only outlets reporting on this latest development so far have been the military press and Fox News. Much of the corporate media was all too eager to forget about the situation because it was an embarrassment to the Obama administration, but rest assured it's still a concern for hundreds of servicemembers and their families. Give credit to the Shasta Lantern and Stars and Stripes for noticing.

No comments:

Post a Comment